Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Birth Plan is 99% complete

Our birth plan is almost finished. I am attaching a copy for anyone who is interested in learning about the kind of birth we would like to have. There are a few minor items we are still debating to include but other than that it's all done.

Typing it was the easy part, trying to make it happen will be harder. We pray about this every day and hope for an uncomplicated labor and birth but we are aware things don't always go the way we want to so we are keeping our minds opened.

We know prayers work so we'll be asking everyone to pray for us once I go into labor. You all will be the first to know since we'll have someone posting updates from a laptop from the hospital room.

BTW, it looks super long here on the blog but it's only one page, we don't want to put the nurses to sleep! :)

Dear Valley Care Staff,

We are very excited to be having our first child at your hospital. We have heard wonderful things about the facility and the staff and would like to thank you in advance for your experience and assistance as we enter this new stage of our lives. After much consideration and research, we have some preferences we would like to submit to you. These are our preferences in the case of an uncomplicated labor. If a complication does arise, we will, of course agree to do whatever is necessary to keep mother and baby safe.

First Stage Labor - in a well-baby scenario with no complications:

  • Minimal vaginal exams
  • Husband will be coaching contractions and is to be present at all times
  • Freedom to walk around and get into the shower or tub during labor
  • Minimal hospital staff coming in and out of the room
  • Quiet room as much as possible

Second Stage Labor -in a well-baby scenario with no complications:

  • Would like to choose the position in which to push
  • Perineal massage with oil hot compresses would be appreciated
  • If unmedicated, mother would prefer spontaneous pushing (no counting)
  • No coaching on breathing from staff as we are not using the Lamaze method
  • We prefer not to use stirrups and not to have the bed broken down
  • Would like the chance to touch the baby’s head when it crowns
  • Doctor to consult prior to performing an episiotomy, mother might prefer to tear depending on the situation
  • Please immediately place baby on mother’s abdomen
  • One of the parents would like to cut the cord after it stops pulsating

Postpartum - in a well-baby scenario with no complications:

  • Baby to breastfeed immediately after birth to assist in delivery of placenta. Mother would prefer to avoid the use artificial oxytocin (pitocin).
  • No pacifiers or bottles given to newborn as mom would like to breastfeed exclusively

In the event of an emergency C-section:

  • We would like to be fully informed and participate in the decision-making process
  • Husband to be present at all times
  • If baby is not in distress please give her directly to the Father

General:

  • Would like to have Elisa Harter present throughout labor (except in case of c-section) to videotape the birth of our daughter.
  • No family/friends or phone calls into room until after birth and bonding period.

THANK YOU again for understanding our desires for this birth. We are so grateful to everyone who will be there on the night (or day!) our daughter comes into this world.

Sincerely,

James & Danaly Payne


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Danaly,
Woah...I had so much to read and catch up on! I knew you were an "organize freak," but even I am amazed as to the extent of it!! I love you for it! I miss you, too! I hope things slow down here so I can talk to you more:) Love you, Jen

Anonymous said...

Danaly:
Congratulations! Is exciting to read about a Mom To Be so hopeful and organized...As a Mom I would like to share an advice from my own experience: In case that what you have in mind for the labor process do not became your reality focus on the most important outcome: Anything that get you a Well-Healthy Mom and Baby!...
Praying that your hopes and wishes became true! Have a Good Labor Experience! Blessings for your Baby and your Family!

Eira

Danaly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Danaly said...

Eira,
Thanks so much for the advice! Jim and I recently went to our last Bradley class where a new Mommy who had taken the class before and was hoping for a natural birth shared her story. She wasn't able to have the birth that she wanted and was feeling dissapointed. I agree that we need to stay open minded and think of the end result and not the process. I like to have a plan though so this is what I consider the best plan for us. If it doesn't go as we are hoping that will be OK too as long as we are all healthy.

had to delete my previous comment reply - tons of typos, sorry...