Friday, March 28, 2008

Five a day!!

As promised, here's the scoop on my Deceptively Delicious adventure!

I'm sure most of you have heard about this book written by Jerry Seinfeld's wife, Jessica and the controversy over whether the idea for the book was hers or stolen from the lady who wrote "The Sneaky Chef".  Well, I have now looked at both books and I have to say that I like Jessica's better.  The format and 50s theme is so cute and easy to follow, I love it!!  Hopefully, she didn't steal the idea but if she did I have to say she managed to present it in a much "cleaner" way.  

So, the whole concept is to clear out a shelf in your freezer where you can organize the veggies that you puree and freeze in ziplot bags so that when you are cooking you can just grab a block or two (I freeze them in the shape of ice cubes), and use them in your recipes.   The recipes in the book are ones most kids love like mac 'n cheese, pizza, burgers, muffins, brownies, etc.  I thought the pureeing part would be a pain in the behind but with the Magic Bullet it's been a breeze!!  I can't believe I didn't make my own baby food back when Lucy was eating it.  I made it out to be a bigger deal than it was and being a new Mommy and all, I felt I had enough on my plate.  

Jessica tested for taste and consistency so it's great 'cause the veggies she suggests to put on recipes match the color and do not overwhelm the taste of the recipe... example:  for quesadillas you use butternut squash mixed with the shredded cheddar so the color stays the same, it becomes a spread and you put inside the tortilla and when you serve it NO ONE can tell there are added veggies in it.  WHAT A CONCEPT!!   

Over the last couple of weeks, Lucy and Jim have eaten more veggies than they ate in the previous 3 months, all hidden of course! ;)  I pray they will eventually learn to eat them in their original state but in the mean time DECEPTION will be the name of my game and I don't feel an ounce of guilt... a Mom's gotta do what a Mom's gotta do!!  Can I hear an AMEN?!


Steamed/ Roasted and ready for pureeing...

Pureed, frozen in shape of blocks (2 blocks = 1/4 cup) and into baggies...


My freezer shelf... looks like a rainbow! :)

One of my family's favorite... Zuchinni/Carrot bread and toddler size muffins with some other veggie goodness hidden in it... shhhh!


I even hide pureed veggies in my own lunch... would you believe there's pureed cauliflower mixed into the melted cheese on the tortilla?  Fabulous!!


Stop by often to check out what we are eating at the Payne Household... I'll be posting pictures of my new dishes from time to time.  

post signature


1 comment:

jem's mom said...

I love reading the book (just as if it were a novel). And thought I would give the recipes a second chance (as the first time was not as successful as I had hoped). This morning we had French Toast w/puree p49 and for dinner Spaghetti and Meatballs p120 with a cup of V-8 for an added punch (since that is how my mom used to do it). Let's see how is goes. Wish me luck!