Sunday, June 29, 2008

Back in business - live from TEXAS!!

Hi everyone, 
Jim finally got the internet setup at our house.  I've been dying to blog and share with you the first few days of our new life in Texas. Where to start?  The house is gorgeous!  It looks even better now that is empty and we can start thinking about where our furniture will fit. Our belongings are en route and will hopefully arrive on Wednesday morning.  We spent the first few nights at the Lumberton Inn (only hotel/motel in town, very nice) and had fun swimming and unwinding after the long journey here.  Stories about the trip would take a post of its own but I've decided to skip that as I am trying to forget about it... let's just say 6-hour delay (half of it inside of a non-air conditioned airplane) in Phoenix in 110 degree weather, fun stuff!

We are now sleeping at our house on an air mattress and pack 'n play. The first night here I went grocery shopping and it was such a thrill... I'm a sucker for new bottles of ketchup and other condiments! I find it a blast to fill an empty refrigerator.  I hear ya, it doesn't take much to get me excited.

Last night we went to The Wilsons for dinner and had a blast.  They live in 12 acres of wooded Texan land... not quite what we are used to.  Lucy got to hold bunnies for the first time and jump on the trampoline with the kids.  We had to drag her out of there as she didn't want to get out.  Food was awesome and consisted of burgers made with beef from their very own cow, so fresh you could taste it! The boys had fun grilling and hitting a target in the woods with bow and arrows... surely there's a name for that but it escapes my mind. It was a perfect evening with friends!

This morning we went to church for the first time here.  Lucy enjoyed the nursery and Jim and I really enjoyed the worship service.  Today was the last teaching on a series they called "The Reel Thing" and it was about how Christ told the disciples to follow Him and He would teach them to be fisher's of men.  The pastor is a fisherman so you can imagine all the analogies... some things went over my head but I got the message... We are called to share the gospel.  Pretty good overall experience but we will be visiting other churches as well before we make a final decision.  It will be a hard one as we can tell there are lots of great churches down here!  Nice problem to have...

After service, we got in the car and Jim turned to me and said:  "This is where we belong, we fit in Texas".  It was sweet to hear that and I agree, this transition has been a lot easier than our transition to California.  There's just something about the South that rubs us the right way.   We miss our California friends though!  Can't wait to see them again!!

So, that brings me to the pictures.... Enjoy!

Swimming with Daddy at the hotel...

Told you guys... her hair is 3 times the size in Texas!


Our empty house the way it looked when we first walked in...

I lit a candle in the kitchen and suddenly I was home! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha... everything is 3X the size in Texas!

Lucy rocks that hairdo ;-)
Jenny