Everything is really different here but the most noticeable thing is the slow pace of this small town. I can't say it's a Texas thing 'cause we lived in Houston before and things were not slow. Lumberton is S-L-O-W in every way and it takes some getting used to. Have you ever ran any significant distance and then stopped and continued walking but could still feel your heart beating as fast as when you were running? That's exactly how I feel. Not that I had a hectic or stressful life in Livermore but nevertheless I feel like I was running and now I'm walking but my insides haven't yet figured it out. Not a bad thing, I bet this lifestyle will add a few years to our lives if we can let it in.
Other than that, everything has come pretty naturally. Lucy and I have spent most of our last few days outdoors. You'd think the heat would keep us inside but it feels good. It's not a scorching kind of heat, it's a wet/breezy kind and it helps that everyone in our neighborhood is always outside. It seriously looks like a scene from that movie Pleasantville here with all the neighbors hanging outside waving, smiling and hugging each other while kids ride their bicycles and play hide and seek. I've never seen anything like it in real life.
We've also done a lot of shopping at Walmart since it's the only store of its sort in town. It took me a bit to get used to the cashier saying "God bless you" while handing me the receipt but now I'm down with it especially since EVERY person you interact with in town will see you off with a God Bless You. It's neat! I think I've felt quite blessed in the last few days.
Jim has been enjoying his job especially the rides to and from Pt. Arthur with his friend Daniel. They've been carpooling to save gas which is good since he now drives a Toyota Tundra. He is in 7th heaven with that car and I have to admit is quite pretty. He took Lucy to Lowes in it and she came home clapping and saying "Hooray!" so we think she approves of the new ride.
Well, that's all I've got... kind of random I know... Pictures next time.
ADDED LATER: Forgot to mention the frogs! They are killin' me! They come out right at 9pm when we are getting ready for bed and are so loud!!!! Our friend's kids came and caught a few of them but there must be hundreds in our backyard! At least it sounds like it. The first night here we thought the living room's ceiling fan had gotten stock and was making a horrible obnoxious loud sound but then realize the ugly animals hanging out outside our bedroom window. Must do something about it or we'll have to move back!! ;)
3 comments:
Yes, I completely agree... scene from the movie Pleasantville. I always tell Chris how I can't believe this is really our life. We are so blessed and truely live a fairy tale life. A dream come true! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the quiet life, Lumbertion sounds like a great place to raise a family.
Toyota Tundra, Chris has been wanting one! He will be so jealous.
You better watch that last line or I'll be drop-shipping the largest and loudest batch of frogs I can find right in your backyard! I'm sure there's some crazy african species that would have you racing back to good ole' Livermore :)
I love that you have frogs in your yard. I think my kids would never sleep because they would be on an endless hunt to capture them all.
I am jealous that you get life at a little slower of a pace. Even after being in California for 31 years.....the pace still gets to me. enjoy not running and also going to a Walmart that is cleaner and nicer then the ones we have out here.
Post a Comment