Our first child was named after the most joyful person Jim and I know and although they don't share the same blood, we've prayed that joy will be one of the ever present themes in her life, so far it has. Our youngest daughter was named after the most passionate person we know and another with a very long and fruitful life. I think there is a lot to a name and I am thankful that both our children can draw from such great heritage. Our prayer is that they use that joy, that passion, and their lives to serve and worship the Lord.
I keep a journal for each of the girls and in it I write not only about their milestones but things I think they will want to know about as young women when God willing they will get to read what I wrote. I asked Jim's Granny to tell me more about her mother, Mae Purselley, one of the women Jenna is named after so I could add it to her journal and below is what she wrote. Never before have I been so intrigued by a late relative's life. I would have loved to sit with her and ask her about the child she lost and learn how that loss shaped her life. I am fascinated by her parents trip via train to their new land carrying all the materials to build their home. I'm tickled to read how long and well she took care of her home and garden. I'm left wanting to know more...
Is there something or someone in your family heritage that you are especially proud about? Do share!
Mae Davis Purselley
Mae Davis Purselley was borne April 8, 1904 in Hatfield, Arkansas to Nora and Wilson Davis. They moved to New Mexico in 1909 and homesteaded 15 miles North of Texico, New Mexico. They came by train and brought all of their home building and farming supplies with them. She had two brothers, Faye and George, and three sisters, Merle, Kate and Maud. She married C. B. “Shorty” Purselley on March 12, 1922. They had five children, Ilaveve (who died shortly after birth), La Moine, Billie Jean, Robbie Lea, and Jimmie Dale. Her family meant everything to her. She was a caring, loving Mother.She took care of yard and grew a vegetable garden until the age of 85. She also cleaned her home until she moved to assisted living at the age of 95. She and Jim were very close. She took care of him when Jennifer was borne. She had a special place in her heart for him. She died on January 14, 2006 at the age of 101.
2 comments:
My grandmother, Hildamar and my great grandmother, Angelica shaped my life in beautiful ways. Hildamar was a loving soldier for Christ. He used her many time to bring others to Him. She died in 2003 and I miss her greatly. Angelica died at 101 as well and listening to her life's stories was one of my favorite things, even as an adult. Thanks for letting us share our stories too! Hugs!
Such a great post, D. I love all the meaning and thought that went into your girls' names.
Reid wasn't named after, but happens to have a Great-Great Uncle Reid, whom we've never met, but the legacy that has been passed down in the family about him involves accidentally shooting one of his arms off while climbing over a fence with a loaded shot gun. Later in life, he would challenge men in bars to arm-wrestling matches for money. After beating them with his good arm, he would offer them a chance to win their money back by wrestling with his arm that had been shot off and reattached. Little did they know that, somehow because of the way it was reattached (and his freakish strength), that arm was even stronger than his "good" arm, lol...
And then there's Ronin. I guess every time we are speaking his name over him, like you wrote, we are declaring him a "renegade samurai warrior." Oh, boy. What have we gotten ourselves into???
Oh, Olive also happened to have a great, great aunt (Uncle Reid's sister, I believe), whom we didn't know about until after we had chosen her name.
Maybe if I can get my facts straight, I'll do a post like this of my own!
Post a Comment