Sunday, October 25, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Guess what I used my food processor for this weekend?  Laundry Detergent, that's right!  Before you go thinking I'm crazy, can I just tell you that it's super easy and it makes enough for a gazillion loads at 15 cents per load.  Yup!  That's how we roll in the Payne household these days.  Anything to keep my grocery bill low!  Plus, it's a fabulous natural and effective way to wash clothes (and dishes!) and is also great for people with sensitive skin.  Here's the recipe I used...

1 cup Borax, 1 cup Washing Soda, 2 cups shredded Fels-Naphta soap bar (that's what I used the food processor for).  I ordered the soap bars online because we could not find them locally but if you are blessed with a Trader Joe's nearby you can probably find them there.


Mix it all toghether in a zip top bag and you are done!


This is how my laundry cabinet looks now!  I even use vinegar as a fabric softener and odor remover.


There are many laundry detergent recipes out there including liquid ones but this one seemed like an easy one to start with.  I did my first load earlier Today and the clothes came out looking very clean and smelling wonderful.  I'm sold!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

You crack me up- I swear we are too much alike! last week I was researching how to go shampoo free- you use baking soda and apple cider vinegar and water instead. It's suppose to make your hair healthier, shiny, just as clean, etc. and costs way less and you aren't putting SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) and other bad yuck on your head each day. I made it two days following the instructions and ran out of the vinegar so I'm going to try again after going to the store. I figure I'll give it a try and if it doesn't work I can always go back to shampoo with no harm done.... I was planning to make my own laundry detergent (I have a similar recipe) but I won a year's supply of Greenworks detergent through my work. One of the perks for working for the same company as Greenworks and Burts Bees. :) Let me know how it goes on-going. LOVE IT! Keep up the good work!~ L
ps- The "Year's Supply" was actually 12 bottles, I guess that would equal a year if you are single. So that's what I'm using right now. :)

jem's mom said...

My friend Nora "Conpon Contessa" on Great Day Houston (she is in my Called to Be Mom group at Epiphany) also make here own detergent and such.

Impressive.

jem's mom said...

Are you couponing these days? It is a lot of "work" but can be worth it. Anyhow I haven't in months but there are some great deals going on and I'm trying it again.