Thursday, January 14, 2010

Last night's conversation

Jim and I had a heated discussion last night about American's generosity during times of hardship.  I was feeling down and discouraged by a facebook status posted by my sorority sister Ivonne about a poll taken by CNN (I think) asking people if they were planning to donate money to help out with the crisis in Haiti.  Apparently, over 70% of the people who answered the poll said NO.

I often make the mistake of letting my emotions run wild with things put out there by the media and I really need to stop.  Jim was pretty close to furious with the accusation that Americans are not a giving people.  If there is something my husband knows well is history and he quickly shared with me the many instances when countries were in crisis and our people (not the government but the people) stepped in and provided.

I stand convicted and convinced that although evil has reached many areas of our country and our people's lives, at the very core we are a people after God's own heart and we know what to do when our brothers and sisters hurt.  I am hurting for Haiti, its children, its mothers, its families but I am eager and excited to see how Americans lights will shine in the face of this dark time.

If you are reading this and you don't know where to go to donate, here are some of the many places you can go to:

Red Cross
Compassion International 
World Vision

"If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:17-18 

UPDATE:  I emailed Jim at work and asked him to read this post as a peace offering for my part in last night's argument and here's what he replied.  Now, how my husband knows the ins and outs of Brad and Angelina Jolie baffles me but that's probably a conversation for a later time ;)

"That is a nice post.  I heard on the radio this morning that China has pledged $1,000,000 to Haiti.  As a point of comparison, Brad and Angelina Jolie have pledged $1,000,000.  China is the world’s third largest economy.  For as much bad press as America gets, you really can count on people in our country to help out, even when everybody turns on us in the end."  - Jim

3 comments:

Ivonne said...

Oh no! I am so sad you guys had an argument based on my facebook post...tell Jim I totally agree with him that we as Americans are the most giving country and I am proud of that...but it is still shocking to see such a result in the CNN poll, specially when all it would take is for each person in Los Angeles to give $1 and that would be $7 million right there. Love you guys!

Danaly said...

Ivonne,
No biggie. I think he'll still have me! :) Thank You for giving us something meaningful to discuss that night!
Danaly

The Waltenburgs said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but what an awesome argument to have with your spouse, lol. I love your blog.