Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lovebugs????

Not to put Texas down or anything but I think I forgot/blocked certain things about this area out of my head and didn't take them into account when trying to decide whether to move back.  

#1  I completely underestimated the serious threat that hurricanes are to the Gulf Coast.  It's so annoying to live here from August to October.  I hope none of you EVER have to be caught on evacuation traffic.  It's INHUMANE!!!  Not to mention the very REAL possibility of loosing your home and all your belongings and coming back to nothing.  I know material things are not important and insurance covers it all but GOSH, what an inconvenience that would be!!!

#2  Then we come home from New Mexico to hundreds of thousands maybe millions (absolutely NOT exaggerating!) insects flying around called lovebugs.  They get their name from the fact that male and female are perpetually mating so when you look at them they are connected from the rear (check out the picture).  They don't bite but their blood is made of some kind of acid that sticks to everything especially cars.   This phenomena only lasts for about 3 weeks but the weeks can not go by quickly enough.  Locals say they are indication that cold weather is coming or going away so they appear for 3 weeks in early September and then in late Spring.   I read they originated in Texas and now they have spread throughout the entire Gulf Coast. YUCK, is all I have to say!!!!!


I think next year I'll move out of Texas just for August and September and come back when the hurricanes and the bugs are gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for hurricane and lovebug season to be over. What a time to be in the Gulf Coast area.

-Katie

Kim said...

Danaly Payne, you get your puerto rican booty back to California ASAP! Jennifer has been quoted as saying "disgusting!" and I was speechless for a minute! Ewwwwwwwwwwwww

Anonymous said...

We are staying put. As we evacuated Rita 3 years ago, yuck.

-Katie